October 31, 2013
Python and HDF5--New from O'Reilly
Sebastopol, CA—Gain hands-on experience with HDF5 for storing scientific data in Python. Python and HDF5 quickly gets you up to speed on the details, best practices, and pitfalls of using HDF5 to archive and share numerical datasets ranging in size from gigabytes to terabytes.
Through real-world examples and practical exercises, you'll explore topics such as scientific datasets, hierarchically organized groups, user-defined metadata, and interoperable files. Examples are applicable for users of both Python 2 and Python 3. If you're familiar with the basics of Python data analysis, this is an ideal introduction to HDF5.
- Get set up with HDF5 tools and create your first HDF5 file
- Work with datasets by learning the HDF5 Dataset object
- Understand advanced features like dataset chunking and compression
- Learn how to work with HDF5's hierarchical structure, using groups
- Create self-describing files by adding metadata with HDF5 attributes
- Take advantage of HDF5's type system to create interoperable files
- Express relationships among data with references, named types, and dimension scales
- Discover how Python mechanisms for writing parallel code interact with HDF5
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030249.do
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom
Media Relations - Conferences