April 27, 2012
Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2, 2nd Edition--New from TidBITS: Fight information overload with popular information manager DEVONthink 2
Ithaca, NY—To cover the many new features and
changes over the last two years of updates to the popular information
management application DEVONthink 2, TidBITS Publishing Inc. has
published the second edition of Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2 ($15.00 USD).
Designed to help Mac users fight information overload by storing and indexing digital documents and clippings of all sorts, including scanned paper bills and receipts, DEVONthink provides all the tools necessary to organize, find, and view vast amounts of stored data. Written by Joe Kissell and created in collaboration with DEVONtechnologies, LLC, Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2 explains DEVONthink's core concepts and guides readers through many aspects of putting DEVONthink to work.
Kissell teaches readers how to:
- Get around in the interface
- Decide how many databases you need and set them up
- Determine whether to input or index data
- Configure where incoming data will go
- Import data from many different applications
- Input data from a scanner, including OCR options
- Use grouping and tagging to organize data
- Use simple (and sophisticated) techniques for searching
- Create smart groups that automatically gather newly imported data
- Edit data in DEVONthink (or externally)
- Find the best way to sync DEVONthink data with other devices
- Share DEVONthink data with other people
- Export data from DEVONthink
- Back up and maintain healthy databases
Questions answered in the book include:
- What is DEVONthink good for, and what should be left to other programs?
- What kinds of data can I import? (Short answer: Nearly everything!)
- Which of DEVONthink's many views should I use?
- When I import data from different sources, where does it end up, and why?
- Is it better to sort imported data right away, or leave it for later?
- Should I group my data, tag it, or both?
- What are duplicates and replicants, and how can I tell them apart?
- Which types of data can be created or edited within DEVONthink?
- How do I make my DEVONthink database accessible via the Web?
- How do I use DEVONthink To Go on my iOS device?
- Are there Automator or AppleScript options for DEVONthink? (Hint: Yes!)
Eric Böhnisch-Volkmann, president of DEVONtechnologies, commented, "DEVONthink, with its broad range of possibilities and uses, can be complex sometimes. Joe, who has used DEVONthink for years now, picks new users up with this book, introduces them to the most important concepts, gives tips, and proposes 'best practices' for the most common tasks in DEVONthink 2. If you are new to DEVONthink, you should definitely have a look at this great Take Control ebook."
The ebook covers all three editions of DEVONthink 2: DEVONthink Pro Office, DEVONthink Professional, and DEVONthink Personal, and it is completely up-to-date with last month's release of DEVONthink 2.3.3.
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781615424023.do
The Take Control series is published by TidBITS Publishing Inc. TidBITS co-founders Adam and Tonya Engst have been publishing highly regarded news and editorial since 1990 when they created the online newsletter TidBITS, which covers Macintosh and Internet-related topics. The Take Control series has helped many thousands of readers with high-quality, timely, real-world, cost-effective documentation since 2003.
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom
Media Relations - Conferences