January 26, 2009
RailsConf Opens Registration and Spotlights Rails' Next Generation: Rails 3 - Merges Rails and Merb
Sebastopol, CA, January 26, 2009 - Want to see Rails 3 roll out?
O'Reilly Media and Ruby Central have opened registration for RailsConf 2009, happening May 4-7, 2009, at the Las Vegas Hilton. RailsConf, the official event for the Ruby on Rails community, will showcase the latest developments in the merger of Rails and Merb into Rails 3.
RailsConf, co-presented by Ruby Central, Inc. and O'Reilly Media, Inc., is the largest official conference dedicated to everything Rails. Innovative and successful Rails experts and companies interact at RailsConf through keynotes, sessions, tutorials, panels, and events. The conference provides attendees with examples of business models, development paradigms, and design strategies which enable new arrivals to the Web and Rails to take advantage of this new generation of services and opportunities.
Program chair Chad Fowler has extended the Call for Participation to produce the most current material on Rails 3 and more late-breaking Rails topics. The program continues to grow, but some of the speakers and sessions already scheduled include:
- David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of Rail and Rails Core Team member
- jQuery on Rails by Yehuda Katz (Engine Yard Inc.)
- ActiveORM: ORM agnosticism in Rails 3.0 by Lori Holden (AT&T Interactive)
- Automated Code Quality Checking in Ruby and Rails by Marty Andrews (Cogent Consulting Pty Ltd)
- Building a Video Portal in Rails - Or How the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Started Streaming by Ed Laczynski (LTech)
- Five Musical Patterns for Programmers by Jonathan Dahl (Tumblon)
- I Rock, I Suck, I Am - Your Journey to Being an Agile Developer by Davis W. Frank (Pivotal Labs)
- Integrating SMS Messaging with Your Rails Application by Blythe Dunham (Spongecell)
- Rails 3: Step Off of the Golden Path by Matt Aimonetti (m|a agile consulting)
- Scaling Rails by Ninh Bui (Phusion), Hongli Lai (Phusion)
- Smacking Git Around - Advanced Git Tricks by Scott Chacon (Logical Awesome)
- UI, the Rails Way by Ryan Singer (37signals)
The free and hacker-focused CabooseConf will happen in conjunction with RailsConf, also May 4-7 at the Las Vegas Hilton. Rails coders from all over the world will meet in one room to network, hack, and work on their Rails projects.
RailsConf 2009 gathers Rails and other web developers (independent, startup, enterprise/corporate); other open source developers seeking to expand their skill-sets; IT managers tracking emerging technologies; tech-savvy entrepreneurs with business ideas looking to implement web-based start-ups quickly in order to assess their ideas' potential for success; users at all levels, including new, intermediate, advanced, and expert; as well as others interested in web technologies and strategic implementation.
A bustling Exhibit Hall gives attendees the chance to see the newest and most influential products and projects, and to meet the people behind them. RailsConf 2009 sponsors and exhibitors include EngineYard, Sun Microsystems, and New Relic.
Early registration for RailsConf remains open until March 16 at:
The Call for Participation remains open through February 17, 2009.
For more information on RailsConf 2009, visit: http://railsconf.com/
If you have ideas about areas you'd like to see included at the conference, send a note to:
If you'd like to stay up to date on information relating to RailsConf, sign up for the conference newsletter (login required) at: http://elists.oreilly.com/#conferences
For articles, blogs, photos, and other coverage of RailsConf 2008, go to:
Download speaker presentation slides from RailsConf 2008 at:
To view keynote videos from RailsConf 2008, visit: http://railsconf.blip.tv/
See pictures of the conference at: http://flickr.com/photos/x180/sets/72157605325511779/
To read Tim O'Reilly's take on the future, go to the O'Reilly Radar at: http://radar.oreilly.com/
To read conference chair Chad Fowler's conference blog, go to:
For information about sponsorship and exhibit opportunities at RailsConf 2008, contact Yvonne Romaine at firstname.lastname@example.org or (707) 827-7198
For media inquiries, contact Maureen Jennings at email@example.com
If you would like to discuss forming a media or promotional partnership with O'Reilly for an upcoming event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
More O'Reilly Conferences:
- O'Reilly Tools of Change for Publishing Conference in New York City February 9-11, 2009
- O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference in San Jose, CA, March 9-12, 2009
- Web 2.0 Expo San Francisco in San Francisco March 31-April 3, 2009, co-produced with TechWeb
- MySQL Conference & Expo in Santa Clara, CA, April 20-23, 2009, co-presented by O'Reilly Media and Sun Microsystems
- O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference in San Jose, CA, May 19-21, 2009
- O'Reilly Found Conference in Burlingame, CA, June 9-11, 2009
- O'Reilly Velocity Conference in San Jose, CA, June 22-24, 2009
- OSCON in San Jose, CA, in San Jose, CA, July 20-24, 2009
- Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, CA, October 20-22, 2009
- Web 2.0 Expo New York in New York City, Nov. 16-19, 2009
For a conference overview, visit:
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
O'Reilly conferences bring together forward-thinking business and technology leaders, shaping ideas and influencing industries around the globe. For over 25 years, O'Reilly has facilitated the adoption of new and important technologies by the enterprise, putting emerging technologies on the map.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom
Media Relations - Conferences