Sebastopol, CA--O'Reilly & Associates has announced the release of a new
edition of the book
Photoshop for the
Web. In this new edition, author
Mikkel Aaland includes important new techniques and workarounds for the
latest release of Photoshop version 5.5.
The first edition was loaded with step-by-step examples and real-world
solutions from some of the world's hottest Web sites. The second edition
adds coverage of Photoshop 5.5's newest features, including a compression
tool that ultimately leads to faster download times and higher quality Web
graphics. Photoshop for the Web, Second Edition also details features new
to version 5.0, including the changeable type tool, color profiling, and
the history palette.
In addition, Photoshop for the Web covers Adobe's ImageReady 2.0 Web
graphics production software, now part of the Photoshop 5.5 package. You'll
find information on ImageReady 2.0's image slicing, animation, and
"Photoshop 5.5 makes web designers' lives easier in a number of ways," says
Aaland. "I do recommend it. But for those who haven't updated, where I
discuss Photoshop 5.5-specific features in the book, I also include ways to
do the same thing in Photoshop 5.0 and 4.0. Photoshop has long been the
image manipulation tool of choice for designers. And it's a fantastic
tool for web designers. But it is set up for print, not the web, and the
differences inherent in creating images for the web. You'll want to
customize preferences to reflect the needs of the web, and calibrate the
monitor to establish some sort of objective reference for viewing work, not
to mention changing the way Photoshop 5.0 handles color to avoid unwanted
In its first edition,
Photoshop for the Web has received praise from the
Readers were even more effusive:
- The Canada Computer Paper picked it as one of the 10 best computer books
- Hewlett Packard's E-Business Web site called it "one of the most useful
Photoshop books I've ever picked up."
- Netpedia said "If you are ever planning to construct a clean, sharp, and
attractive website, this book is an absolute must!"
- Jennifer Kyrnin, HTML Guide, About.com called it "An excellent book. I
recommend it highly."
- Communication Arts Magazine said "Web designers eager to get the most out
of Photoshop will appreciate Photoshop for the Web... simple,
authoritative, and to the point."
- And My Mac magazine said "Aaland knows Photoshop inside out and how to
maximize it for Web creation."
Photoshop for the Web, Second Edition shows you how to use the latest
version of Photoshop to create Web graphics that look great and download
- "This is the first book that gives me both ready-to-use recipes and
enough information to experiment with and learn my own solutions. Highly
- "Aaland has provided an excellent and detailed analysis of using
Photoshop to produce web pages...a must-read book!"
- "Within minutes of perusing Aaland's book, I found exactly 4 new tricks
that I immediately applied to improve my web site."
- "This book now rests on my most hallowed piece of real estate--on my
desk next to my mouse."
Photoshop for the Web, 2nd Edition
Covers Photoshop 5.5 and ImageReady 2.0
By Mikkel Aaland
2nd Edition December 1999 (US)
1-56592-641-2, 246 pages, including 64-page color insert, $29.95 (US$)