O'Reilly Ebook Bundles: Mobipocket
Amazon's Kindle does not currently support the industry-standard EPUB files directly (though we hope that will change), so most of our ebook bundles include a Mobipocket (.mobi) file, which can be read on the Kindle.
Because of rendering limitations in the first-generation of Kindle hardware, we recommend reading O'Reilly books on Kindle 2 and subsequent devices. We know there are times when you'll need to know exactly what the author meant in a particular line of code or table cell, so each of our ebook bundles includes a PDF, which is a faithful representation of the printed book.
O'Reilly in the Kindle Store
Several O'Reilly titles are available for purchase in the Amazon Kindle Store today. We are in the process of adding more titles from our backlist.
Loading a Mobipocket Ebook to Your Kindle
To add a Mobipocket (".mobi") O'Reilly Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the ".mobi" Ebook file into the
documentsfolder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, "Safely Remove Mass Storage Device" (Windows) or "Eject" (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The O'Reilly Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
For more on transferring files via USB or via the Kindle's email service see sections 8.2 and 8.3 of your Kindle User's Guide.
Loading a Mobipocket Ebook to Kindle Fire:
To add a Mobipocket (".mobi") O'Reilly Ebook to your Kindle Fire:
- Turn your Kindle on.
- Connect the Kindle to your computer with a USB Cable (note that the Kindle Fire does not ship with a cable so you will need to supply your own). Your Kindle Screen will now say "You can now transfer files from your computer to Kindle"
- On your computer, the Kindle's hard drive should be mounted and displayed as "KINDLE"
- Drag and drop the ".mobi" Ebook file into either the "Books" or "Documents" folder on your Kindle
- Unmount the Kindle from your computer: choose "Safely Remove Mass Storage Device" (Windows) or "Eject" (Mac).
Your books will show up in the Docs section of your Kindle Fire, as well as in the carousel.
Using the Mobipocket Ebook with other devices
There are Mobipocket-compatible Ebook readers for a variety of devices, including Blackberries. We have not tested our Mobipocket Ebooks on any device except the Kindle, and at this time cannot provide support for customers using Mobipocket Ebooks on devices besides the Kindle.