Oracle DBA Checklists Pocket ReferenceRevealNet
0-596-00122-3, Order Number: 1223
80 pages, $9.95
Application schema checklist
Follow this checklist to make sure your application schemas are ready to be put into production:
- Perform physical configuration:
- Does each application have its own schema?
- Does each schema have its own set of table and index tablespaces?
- Are tables and their corresponding indexes in separate tablespaces?
- Check on performance issues:
- If you are implementing referential integrity, are all core foreign keys indexed?
- Are there tables without indexes?
- Are there tables with too many indexes?
- Are there tables with similar indexes?
- Are the schema objects regularly analyzed?
- Check on security issues:
- Are all object grants performed through roles? (While doing this is not strictly necessary, it does make administration much easier.)
- If your applications allow for it, are all updating capabilities granted through nondefault roles?
- Check on miscellaneous issues:
- Are naming conventions in place for all database objects? (While using consistent naming conventions is not strictly necessary, it does make administration much easier.)
- Is the value of the PCTINCREASE parameter for each tablespace greater than 0? This will ensure the automatic coalescing of free space. If you do not want your extent sizes to change, you'll want to ensure that PCTINCREASE is set to 0.
Back to: Oracle DBA Checklists Pocket Reference
© 2001, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.