Blogs

BROWSE: Most Recent | Popular Tags |

Tags > interoperability

Business models that make the Internet of Things feasible

By Andy Oram
April 8, 2014

For some people, it’s too early to plan mass consumerization of the Internet of Things. Developers are contentedly tinkering with Arduinos and clip cables, demonstrating cool one-off applications. We know that home automation can save energy, keep the elderly and …

Interoperating the industrial Internet

By Mike Loukides
December 17, 2012

One of the most interesting points made in GE’s “Unleashing the Industrial Internet” event was GE CEO Jeff Immelt’s statement that only 10% of the value of Internet-enabled products is in the connectivity layer; the remaining 90% is in the …

Report from HIMSS 2012: toward interoperability and openness

By Andy Oram
February 23, 2012

Two key pillars of the Stage 2 announcement are requirements to use the Direct for data exchange and HL7's consolidated CDA for the format.

Report from HIMSS: health care tries to leap the chasm from the average to the superb

By Andy Oram
February 22, 2012

HIMSS has promoted good causes, but only recently has it addressed cost, interoperability, and open source issues that can allow health IT to break out of the elite of institutions large or sophisticated enough to adopt the right practices.

Report from HIMSS: health care tries to leap the chasm from the average to the superb

By Andy Oram
February 22, 2012

HIMSS has promoted good causes, but only recently has it addressed cost, interoperability, and open source issues that can allow health IT to break out of the elite of institutions large or sophisticated enough to adopt the right practices.

Report from Open Source convention health track, 2011

By Andy Oram
July 30, 2011

OSCon shows that open source health care, although it hasn't broken into the mainstream yet, already inspires a passionate and highly competent community.

Report from Open Source convention health track, 2011

By Andy Oram
July 30, 2011

OSCon shows that open source health care, although it hasn't broken into the mainstream yet, already inspires a passionate and highly competent community.

Preview of OSCON's health care track

Preview of OSCON's health care track
By Andy Oram
July 22, 2011

This year we're looking more at what you--patients, clinicians, and researchers--can do with the data you collect, while we continue our coverage of critical IT parts of the health care system.

Wrap-up of the health care IT track at O'Reilly's Open Source convention

By Andy Oram
July 27, 2010

The first health care track to be included in an O'Reilly conference grappled with the task of opening up health care. Two contradictory trends make the field difficult for IT to advance.

VistA scenarios, and other controversies at the Open Source health care track

By Andy Oram
July 23, 2010

The history and accomplishments attributed to VistA, the Veterans Administration's core administrative software, mark it as one of the most impressive software projects in history. Still, lots of smart people in the health care field deprecate VistA and cast doubt that it could ever be widely adopted.

Report from HIMMS Health IT conference: toward interoperability and openness

By Andy Oram
March 4, 2010

The U.S. has a mobile population, bringing their aches and pains to a plethora of institutions and small providers. That's why health care needs interoperability. Furthermore, despite superb medical research, we desperately need to share more information and crunch it in creative new ways. That's why health care needs openness.

Universal Translators

By Tim Mather
October 26, 2009

Of course, we all know the story of the Tower of Babel, typified by a confusion of many languages. And for years, science fiction has included so-called universal translators that can overcome the Tower of Babel problem. It was arguably...

Cloud API Wars - Where is the security arsenal?

By Subra Kumaraswamy
September 11, 2009

Last week was an exciting week for the Virtualization and Cloud customers and potential adopters. During VMWorld 2009, a handful of announcements by the cloud computing "picks" and "shovel" providers marked the beginning of the "Cloud API War" -...

The limits of standards in OOXML and ODF office suites

The limits of standards in OOXML and ODF office suites
By Andy Oram
May 20, 2009

Nobody expected Microsoft to make its proprietary OOXML format really work with products that support ODF. But an office suite has to hook into a huge number of outside pieces in its environment. We're just going to have to live with a fuzz factor.


1 to 14 of 14
The Watering Hole